Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cliche Flight Student?

So I've gotten shop more or less set up down here in Sunny Lakeland. I'm essentially sleeping on what equates to a rather elaborate air mattress, my bank account is slowly dwindling, my mind is revolving around flight related information, radio frequencies, VOR NAV frequencies, I have a flight medical on Monday that will probably involve a few pokes and prods, I've got a whole flight bag worth or interesting devices including a new hand held transceiver, Pilot headset, FAR/AIM '07 book, thri-fold knee board complete with checklists and E6B, a relatively new GPS, and a Florida airport reference guide. Throw in a couple of sectional maps of and you can see where my money is vanishing.

To stem the bank hemorraging, I've tracked down a few airport based opportunities for employment and simply must pick and choose. One that I defiantly want is an FBO slot based with Columbia Air Services. It would provide an opportunity to meet a variety of pilots while working around various types of aircraft, civilian and military as Columbia is contracted to refuel DOD aircraft that come through. I had a long and fun interview with the owner who, it seems, wants to hire me but has a full crew at the moment. The good news is that any given FBO job is essentially a revolving door and it's only a matter of patients until someone bows out. Till then, there's a always Tony's Air Side restaurant. Yes, given I'm over qualified for either of these types of employment but the key here is employment that's not demanding. My time and effort won't be wasted chasing spread sheets or marketing plans, instead I can focus purely on flying, thus finishing the Private ticket then getting the Hell out of here. ONTO ATP, to run the gamet of their Airline Career course.

Oh, one last (sort of vital) part. Located an instructor. He's an interesting character to say the least. More on him and the rest of the Lakeland crew to come.

KW


(P.S. All attempts to correct for my inability to spell have been made, so if blogger doesn't recognise an elaborate word for bleeding, what am I to do?)

No comments: