Monday, March 31, 2008

Aches Pains and Lessons Learned

After spending six months cramped in, out, upside down and sideways around a cockpit while hauling fuel hoses, dealing with Jet setters, in house politics and the stirrings of a potential stalker(Someone else, not you Em), it occurred to me that somewhere through the duration I picked up about five pounds that I didn't previously have, nor wanted. So tonight, after such a long absence of physical effort (at least in the fitness effort direction, all other physical efforts have been purely aircraft related) I've restarted a running routine. Eight laps around an empty flight line during the last hour of slavery when the winds are calm, the sky is wide open, and no one is flying or taxing in. Between myself and whom ever the second man is, we have the terminal building and our attached ramp to ourselves. Time to put it to good use. (I'm sore as hell right now, complacency hurts)

Running has always been a good escape for me and these days it's a welcome stress relief. Although this is the beginning night of this new effort, I had previously spend months in the gym, right up till the point when the project got under way. When the work started on the Cessna, the work on my body (and the cancellation of the gym membership) came to a close. Now that she's nearing her completion I can shift focus slightly. Back to the point about stress though. I'm no where near where I wanted to be in my aviation life as I had planned. By now, I had pictured myself at the very least behind the column of a KingAir, building time and paying off loans. If not there, at the controls perhaps of a Canadian RJ. In either case, twas not to be, at least not now at this point. On the positive side, despite my delays I do, and can, claim two points that a great deal of established jet jocks, much to my own surprise, can not boast to.


One: I own, not rent, split, fractionally share, or finance my own Aircraft. This very point in and of its self at my age and place in aviation is practically unheard of and I am eternally greatfull for this fact. Many pages could be written about the pure potential that ownership implies. I'll write that book later, something along the title lines of "Luck, Looks and Pistol Whippings: How to own you're own Airplane and make it in Aviation without owing your soul to VISA"

Two: I am not burdened down with debt in any form. The majority of young pilots my age, flying any given aircraft at this very moment are strapped for amounts that can range between a few thousand dollars, or (and in the case of a good friend I have here at Lakeland) close too 200,000 plus, tack on interest and you can imagine why so many starting pilots out there are not the happiest of individuals. Trying extending the college roommate experience and live off Ramen noodles a few extra years and you get the idea. And we're all working toward the same goals. Paying jobs. Paying jobs in the field we love, that we are so dedicated to that we are willing to sacrifice relationships...close friends...family...financial stability and uncertainty for years to come...and time in order to obtain. Time is something that every pilot always wants more of. More time to practice important flight maneuvers. More time to dedicate to cross country flights. More time to be inked into the all important log books. Time. Ever single second, even to the most minute click of a stop watch hand or roll of a digital display, in the air, every sweat earned chronological moment counts. Within aviation two roads can be taken to take yourself to the coveted position of Captain, in any airframe, for any company. One route, and the one more vastly popular as the demand for pilots comes to a fevered pitch, is through academy or flight school training. Although quick, and known for producing quality pilots (in most cases) it's also the biggest pitfall. Debt, debt, and more debt will be accrued. The for mentioned friend I have, will start his new life (a change over to Air Traffic Control even after obtainment of every rating save for ATP) at a six figure average. Sounds promising. Factor in his debt plus interest and even if he can dedicate 10K per year to the sum total, he won't be free and clear till some time around twenty years down the road. Twenty years, he's already 28. So at the grand close of 50ish, he'll break even, without an aircraft and will probably float a mortgage from that point forward. By comparison, having no debt, minus the cost of ownership, I will take a longer road to arrive at the same place in ratings, but I will not fret the next twenty years while my eyes get worse, my joints stiffen, and arthritis slowly begins its creep toward my hands. No, I will be much better off. The punchline is the same either way, academy grad or self propelled student, the only thing that counts is the time in the logbook. Doesn't matter if it comes from dropping skydivers, or flying sims for countless months, the only thing that matters is how much time is in that little back log book.

My greatest problem at this stage in the game is my growing impatiences. Even with all the knowledge , all the numbers and all the fingers pointing in the same correct direction (stay out of debt), I still grind my teeth to think that although close to complete, my bird is still on the ground. Something I'll have to work on. Not one to end on a down note however (ask Mozart about his popularity for doing that) I will smile and convey to you, dear reader, that interesting things lie ahead for me at Lakeland Airport. Some I can speak of, some I've been asked to remain quizzically silent on until the time is proper. (It's amazing how flustered some people can get over silence and a smile)


Of that I can speak of, Lakeland is receiving a new flight school. Appropriately enough this is the same flight school from which I bough my now loved Cessna. Leading Edge is coming to Landmark. The new school will feature training and sales of Cirrus SR22's (realistically no basic flight student could ever afford one but it's nice to learn in a glass cockpit) In a surprising conversation had with owner, who's branching out from his home airport at Vandenberg, I've been asked in no uncertain terms if I would like to join the team once I have my CFI and commercial tickets in hand. To say that this is exciting would merely expose an iceberg tip of the growing feeling (and shameless smile) I harbor just below he surface. A paid (well paid I might add) flight instructor position is something I've had my sights set on since I stepped foot on the tarmac here. Motivation to get my training back in high gear. I've already re-cracked the IFR books and have the other Gleims manuals on order. The cute, curly blond with bright eyes who's transferring over from V-town, doesn't hurt the freshly added fuel to the fire either. Here's to steep climbs and hard banks. Never could I be having more fun. :)

KW

Next episode: T-hanger rent, grass runways and how to, and not to, land a tail dragger.

2 comments:

emily said...

Kudos on the getting back to running. I'm signed up for the Chicago Marathon in October -- wanna run it with me?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.